Saturday 1 June 2013

Dining In.

London has some amazing restaurants. That little stereotype about the food being subpar over here has, so far, proved to be completely false. You can pretty much find any type of cuisine that your heart desires and it is usually within walking distance. Michael and I have a running list, similar in length to the dictionary, of the bars and bistros that we want to sample while we're here.

As much fun as it is to go out to eat every night, I think that I love dining in just as much. Cooking has always been a passion of mine and there is nothing better than sitting down to a meal that you created. Even better, growing your own food and cooking with it is the ultimate culinary endeavor. 

Living in London isn't exactly conducive to growing fields of corn and green beans (but that would be awesome). We may not have acres of land at our flat, but we do have a balcony! A balcony with the capability of holding many potted plants. Last week, Michael surprised me with a starter kit for gardening glory.


   
Carrots, green onions, basil, and rocket (arugula). And this spicy little guy...




We'll see how green my thumb is. Hopefully I can succeed enough to get at least a salad out of all of it. 

In the meantime, we set out to the market to get the goods for our first home cooked meal in our new place. The menu for the evening was kind of a surf n' turf. Turkey burgers with aged cheddar and pea shoots, mussels with garlic and white wine, roasted asparagus, and cole slaw. I have to say, we were pretty proud of the outcome.






A bag o' mussels...only two quid!



















We ate our first supper on the balcony and enjoyed the new view.







For dessert, we had strawberry shortcakes. 





I think that's enough food for one night. Time to go try another restaurant and check it off the list. 

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Beautiful food! I kinda wish I liked cooking more but me and Ted both don't have love for it or do it well. This just looks like something out of a magazine though! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete