Wednesday 19 June 2013

Best there ever was.

Please do me a favor. Yes, I mean you...the person reading this right now. Think back and try to remember your all-time favorite memory of you and your Mom. I don't mean an "oh haha yeah, that time was cool" kind of memory. I mean the time when you first realized that your Mom was above and beyond the norm. The first time that you saw how gorgeous she really was, or how strong she really was. The first time that you thought of her as your friend. The time that things changed for you. Do it now...I'll give you a moment....


















My favorite memory is from when I was nine years old. My Mom usually tucked me into bed when I was younger and would read me a book before I fell asleep. When all of the books had been read a thousand times over, she started making bedtime stories up. Some of them had a serious moral to them. Some of them were completely lighthearted. Others were hilarious. One particular night, it was time for bed, and I requested my usual Mom story. It had been a long day for her and she kept telling me that she would spend the entire following day thinking of the "best ever" story to tell me tomorrow night. Being nine years old, and me, I bugged her for my story until she finally conceded. 

She wearily began the tale, her heart half in it (give her a break, she worked all day and then made dinner!). But as the random characters and ridiculous situations transpired, the story got funny. I mean really funny. I started giggling...and so did she. I was under the covers and had to pull the blanket up over my mouth and nose so she couldn't see how hard I was laughing. I didn't want her to stop until she was finished, and seeing me crack would have sent her over the edge. She kept going, but her words started mingling with snickers. A few breaks were taken to restore a sense of order. But all composure was lost when the story ended in a bit of bathroom humor, and all hell broke lose. My Mom collapsed on top of me and we laughed so hard together that the act of breathing took a toll. Tears rolled down our faces as we both did that silent, wheezing laugh...you know the one I'm talking about. When we finally came around, she went to kiss me and say 'goodnight hun'. But I think she also meant to say 'babe' at the same time because what came out was "Goodnight, bung". We fell back into hilarity again.

The point is, I remember after she turned out the lights and left my room that night, I thought to myself, "I wonder if my friends' Moms are this cool?"

My Mom passed away last Sunday, June 9th, at 9:55 in the morning. She fought like hell against breast cancer for nearly four years and was the epitome of strength and grace the entire time. There is not enough matter in the universe that could fill the hole that is in my heart. I have lost my best friend. My Dad and I, and the rest of our beloved family, will carry her inside of ourselves for the rest of our time.

The past few days have left me wondering if I should even keep blogging. Should I be posting pictures of me going on adventures and having a good time when my Mom is gone? Is that ok? Should I feel guilty? But as I sit here and ask myself those questions and can actually hear my Mom answering them. "Oh honey, don't ever be afraid of having fun...I am so proud of you, and seeing you happy makes me happier than you'll ever know." That is my answer.

I don't want this blog post to have negative tone, because my Mother was the most positive and kind person that ever was.  My reason for posting tonight was to show you how beautiful her life was. She taught me and my Dad, and the world, so many wonderful things. Her generosity, warmth, and love of life was something that truly changed you if you had the privilege of knowing her.

So here it is, in a select group of pictures. Images that reflect my Mom and what she loved about me, my Dad, and our family. Take a deep breath...


Look at that car! (and those pants)





Total babe.





Played with me in all the seasons....



and loved watching me and Dad play cards.



Always treated my best friends like they were her own...




and was always up for goofing off.



Loved her family to the moon and back...





and loved me unconditionally...




Always proud of me.




Had, and will always have, a man that loves her more than life itself.





Dear Mom, 

If this has to be the end, then I want you to know that you were the best that ever was. This is not the end for me, no sir. I will never stop telling people about you and I will always walk in your footsteps. I will lead by your example and tell my children that their Grandmother was phenomenal. 

It is a beautifully sad sunset for now...



But I will always save a seat for you, knowing you are right next to me...always.




Love,

Lauren

10 comments:

  1. Lauren - this is so beautifully written and inspirational. Thank you for taking the time to share your stories and for having the courage to do so. I laughed about "Goodnight Bung!" I am so terribly sorry for your loss. Losing a parent has to be the most difficult part of growing up - I still think about my dad every single day. Please know that I have been thinking about you and your family and sending my strength your way. I also hope you will continue to share even more memories and pictures along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. I'm so glad that you like it. I hope it also brought you some good memories of your Dad.

      Delete
  2. Oh Lo, what a beautiful post. . . I am moved to tears sitting here at my bench. Your mom was truly an amazing woman and I feel so privileged to have known her the past few years. I know that you will honor her with all your words and actions (silly and serious) for the rest of your life. Sending you all my love across the ocean. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chelsea. My Mom was always asking about you and Jerrod whenever we talked :)

      Delete
  3. Simply perfect, Lauren. I read this while rocking Jack to sleep, woke him up when I laughed out loud at "Good night, Bung" - and cried tears onto his little head reading the rest. I hope one day my boys will remember me the way you remember yours. I hope they will possess strength, humor, and grace like your mom instilled in you. I hope they will hold onto the good times and the hilarity even in their sadness. And I hope I am lucky enough to have them consider me their best friend. Your mom did all this, and you are living proof of what an incredible woman she was. Thank you for sharing her with us. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful memories. PS if you read my latest message to you, I hadn't seen this blog post yet....your mom and I think alike :-) keep bloggin and keep adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful memories. PS if you read my latest message to you, I hadn't seen this blog post yet....your mom and I think alike :-) keep bloggin and keep adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren- I have only known you for a short time and I am sorry for your loss. Please don't ever stop blogging, you have so much talent in your writing. Tears came to my eyes when I read all of it and looked at the pictures. I will pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Lo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a nice tribute to your mom, Lauren. Carla always thought highly of her. Your story reminded me of how I used to "talk in" Carla and Angela when they went to bed. At least that's what they called it. Not sure if they thought the phrase was supposed to be 'talk in' instead of tuck in, or it's something they came up with on their own because we would talk and sometimes tell stories like you and your mom did when it was bedtime. I even had props; Carla's Wrinkles the Dog puppet and Angela's Dakin giraffe puppet. The conversation was often between the puppets and kids.

    I can appreciate how your mom loved you so much :-)

    ReplyDelete